Wednesday, October 21, 2015

Walking Among the Shadows

          
           Stepping off the ferry, I looked up at the dilapidated building which may have been the 
Welcome Center at one time and could not help but wonder how it had gotten into such disrepair. Slipping the small back pack strap over my shoulder I cross over the small bridge linking the ferry to the dock, getting the oddest feeling of being watched as I cast my gaze over the surrounding area, My eyes searching carefully but not finding anyone watching shrugging lightly, continuing down the dock toward the doors, spying the broken glass in one of the panes I feel a cold shiver traveling down my spine beginning to get the feeling that all was not as it may have been at one time.
          Clasping my fingers about the cold, slightly, rusted metal of the door handle I twist it, opening the door and walk in quietly, the feeling akin to entering a forbidden area, I call out tentatively, " Anyone here? ...Hello ?", taking a few more steps inside as I listen carefully for an noise that may give a clue if anyone would be about, stilling I hear the sound of a door opening and closing then the gentle tread of footsteps on the porch outside. I turning around and walking back to the door I had just walked through, stepping through and walking around the corner looking carefully in the darkened alcoves as night was encroaching on the island catching sight of a gentleman standing by the corner near a large gazebo. Clearing my throat lightly as I walk up slowly my breath catches in my chest at how quickly he turns about, his eyes traveling along my body seemingly from head to foot sending an odd feeling through me as I feel a blush staining my cheeks, swallowing lightly as I glance down shyly before looking back up at him. " Greetings sir, I was hoping you could help me find a friend of mine? She had sent me a letter from here a while ago, but then I have not heard a word since from her." pausing, and looking up hopefully holding out a picture hoping he will recognize her. Not touching the picture in her hand he glances briefly at it shaking his head and then speaking to her his green eyes sharp and intent on her as he asks in a low rumbling voice that sends shivers through her, "Why are you looking for her and not the cops ?", his gaze seeming to ask more questions then his words. "She  hadn't wanted many to know where she was for some reason, though i am worried now i haven't heard from her." answering in a soft voice quavering ever so slightly with the nervousness that is building inside. Unnoticed by her, but caught by the man's gaze, as he does not miss much, catches the light reflecting off something and seeing the movement through the trees knows another is watching. His gaze turning back to the young woman his eyes tracing along each curve feeling the hunger building, knowing that soon others will be watching and waiting .......she would realize too late, as the wicked smile crept across his lips.


No comments:

Post a Comment